This recipe was passed down from our good friend, Patty. It’s a nice crock pot recipe that tastes delicious with mashed potatoes.
- 1 (3lb) Eye of the Round Roast
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 5 Carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Ribs Celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Onion, cut into eighths
- 1 Tbsp Bottled Minced Garlic
- ½ Tsp Dried Thyme or 10 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 (10 oz) Can Beef Consommé
1) Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper
2) In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add roast and cool for 5 minutes per side or until brown. Place roast in a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Arrange carrots, celery, onion, and garlic around roast. Sprinkle with thyme.
3) In same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add consommé, and cool, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened. Pour over roast.
4) Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until roast is tender. Serve roast, vegetables, and gravy over mashed potatoes.