Chili Relleno w/ cheese
This is my all time favorite Mexican food dish. This takes me back to growing up and my mom making these. I like to serve these with any one of the following sauces, Surf Sauce (Cilantro Lime sauce), Pico De Gallo, Avocado Tomatillo Salsa.
- 4 Pasilla Chili’s
- 5 Eggs
- 1.5 Cups Flour
1. Set oven to broil. After preheating for 10 min place the chilies on a oven tray and broil on top rack for 5-7min per side. They should be lightly burnt/blistered on the skin.
2. After broiling the 2nd side of the chilies remove from oven and immediately place in a plastic zip-lock bag. Place in the fridge for 10 min to allow them to cool.
3. After chilies have cooled remove from plastic bag and remove skins from the chilies. Make sure to leave the stem.
4. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites, keep 2 yolks in a bowl and the rest of the egg yolks can be disposed of.
5. Preheat a large frying pan with vegetable oil so that it is about 1/4 deep with oil.
6. Beat the 5 egg whites with a hand mixer on high for approx 10-15 min. It should form a foam that has small white bubbles and the foam should be able to support its own weight. Add the 2 egg yolks and continue beating until the egg yolks are incorporated as well.
7. Stuff chilies with cheese, then dredge in flour and dip into egg white mixture. Add coated chilies to frying oil.
8. Cook chilies for 3-5 min per side, until golden brown on the outside.
9. Serve and enjoy!