Crispy and delicious! Love to use the Avocado Tomatillo salsa to go with these!
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken Shredded
- 2 7oz. Cans Green Chiles Diced
- 1/2 Cup Cotija Cheese Grated, or Queso Fresco
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions Diced
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro Chopped
- 1 Lime or Lemon, Juiced
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 4 Cups Canola Oil
- 24-30 Corn Tortillas
1) In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken along with green chiles, cheese, green onions, cilantro, lime juice and spices. Stir well to combine, taste for salt.
2) Preheat 4 cups of canola oil to medium heat in a heavy, deep skillet or pan. At the same time, heat a flat griddle pan to medium heat. I like to heat 6 tortillas at a time on the griddle and keep them warm in a tortilla warmer. In the past I have used the microwave to heat the tortillas, but they always, always tear and crack open when I roll them. My dad always told us that the tortilla needed cooking on the hot comal (griddle) to complete the cooking process, and I believe it!
3) Once you have 12 tortillas in the warmer, you can start filling and rolling. Add about 3 to 4 tablespoons of filling in each tortilla. Roll as tight as you can and secure with toothpick. Your pan should be big enough to fry 6 flautas at once. While the 6 are frying, heat another 6 tortillas and transfer them to the warmer; this will help the process go a lot faster.
4) Line a large bowl with paper towels and set aside. Cook the flautas for a minute or two on each side or until golden and crispy. Transfer cooked flautas to bowl and let drain. Remove toothpicks before serving
Stand them up in a bowl lined with paper towels to let the oil drain out.