Chef John’s Italian Meatballs
We have been making these meatballs since 2007. They take a bit of time to make but so worth the effort. Original recipe found here.
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs
- ¼ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp ground black pepper
- ½ Tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
1) Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2) Soak bread crumbs in milk in a small bowl for 20 minutes, as you are prepping your other ingredients.
3) Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onions in hot oil until translucent, about 20 minutes.
4) Mix beef and pork together in a large bowl. Stir in onions, bread crumb mixture, eggs, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese into meat mixture. Mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
6) Using wet hands, form meat mixture into balls about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Arrange onto prepared baking sheet.
7) Bake in preheated oven until brown and cooked through, 20 minutes.