Took a online cooking class with my cousin to make soft Pretzels, loved the outcome so much that I am adding the recipe on here. Original Recipe from Becky’s Mindful Kitchen! Love these with a cheese sauce (Cheesy beer sauce) or spicy mustard.
- 1 1/2 Cup warm water (for yeast)
- 2 Tbsp sugar or honey (for yeast)
- 1 Tbsp salt (for dough)
- 1 Pkg yeast (2 1/4 tsp) active yeast
- 4 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 10 c boiling water plus 2/3 c baking soda (for less salty pretzels, use 1/3c baking soda)
- 1 Egg beaten plus 1 Tbsp water for egg wash
- Coarse seat salt for topping pretzels, or cinnamon sugar, etc.
- Melted butter or Butter olive oil for brushing on top after baking
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Take 1 1/2 Cup warm water add 2 Tbsp sugar and 1 packet of yeast. Allow to sit for 5 min to activate yeast.
- In a stand mixer combine Flour, 1Tbsp salt, melted butter, and activated yeast. Mix with a dough hook on low to medium low speed until dough has formed.
- Cover with a warm damp cloth and allow dough to rise for 1 hr.
- Remove dough and form into pretzel shapes. You can also make 3 long strands and braid them together which is what I did in the picture above. (How to fold a pretzel)
- Brush on egg wash (1 beaten egg + 1 Tbsp Water) then cover pretzel with coarse salt or cinnamon sugar topping.
- Place in oven and bake for 12-15 until golden brown – brown in color. (Your preference)
- Remove from oven and enjoy immediately or place on a cooling rack and enjoy later.