Grilled Shrimp Tostadas
Crispy tostada, delicious shrimp, creamy-cool-spicy avocado tomatillo salsa found here. This recipe is amazing! The left over marinated shrimp also go great in a salad the day after, just use a squeeze of lime for dressing and some fresh cut chives, green onion, and cilantro!
- 1/2 Medium White Onion Diced
- 2 Sloves Garlic
- 2 Serrano or Jalapeño Peppers Minced (seeds removed unless you want spice)
- 1 Poblano Pepper Roughly Chopped
- 2 Tomatillos Roughly Chopped
- The juice of 2 Limes
- 1/3 Tsp Pepper
- ½ Tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1½ Lbs. Large or Extra Large Shrimp (peeled and cleaned)
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro Chopped (for garnish)
- Limes Wedges (for garnish)
- 8 Corn Tostadas
1. In the blender, combine the half of the diced onion, 2 cloves garlic, half of the serrano peppers, poblano, tomatillos, 1/3 cup cilantro, lime juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, pepper, cumin, oregano and salt to taste. Blend on high until smooth, taste for salt. Pour over cleaned shrimp, cover and chill for 1 hour.
2. Remove shrimp from refrigerator, drain shrimp and reserve the marinade. Using metal or wooden skewers, add 5 to 6 shrimp per skewer, set aside. I like using the skewers because it much easier to turn the shrimp when grilling, but you can lay them directly onto grill.
3) In a sauce pan, preheat 1 tablespoon of olive oil to medium heat. Add the reserved onions and chile peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Add the reserved marinade from shrimp. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Cover and remove from heat.
4) Preheat a stove top grill pan or outdoor grill to medium heat. Drizzle shrimp skewers with olive oil or spray with oil. Grill the shrimp for just 2 to 3 minutes per side or until it turns pink. Remove shrimp from skewers. Roughly chop 3/4 of the shrimp and toss with warm marinade sauce, reserving at least 8 whole shrimp. To plate, add some guacamole salsa to a tostada, top with shrimp in sauce, a whole grilled shrimp, cilantro, lime.
Prep time: 1.5 hrs
Cook time: 30 min