We have played around with a lot of recipes and ways to prepare pork carnitas. This is one that is both easy and very delicious. We have even been complimented by our Hispanic friends that this recipe is better than their family recipe.
- 4-6 lb. Boneless Pork Butt
- 1 Large Onion, white
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Ground Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Ground Oregano
- 1 Can Chipolet Chilies in Adobo sauce
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Quarts Chicken Broth (Low Sodium)
1) Cut pork butt into cubes about 1×1 – 2×2 inchs in size, set inside a large stock pot.
2) Mince Onion, Garlic, and Chipolet chilies, place inside pot as well.
3) Add remaining ingredients to pot.
4) Bring to a boil and cook on high for 2-3 hrs until the pork is fork tender. If fluid levels get to low, add more chicken broth or water 1 cup at a time as needed.
5) Once pork is fork tender, contiunue to cook on high until most of the remaining juices have boiled off.
6) Either using two forks or a potato masher, mash the contents of the pot.
7) Ready to serve at this point.
Notes: If desired, spread out carnitas on a baking tray and place under broiler for 10 min to crisp the meat.