Fluffy as a cloud and “Stick to your ribs” good! Spent a lot of time looking for a good buttermilk biscuit recipe. Found this one, comes together fast and the biscuits are amazing! Credit for this recipe goes to Diva’s Can Cook.
- 2 Cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Buttermilk, Cold
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Shortening
- 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise, Cold (For brushing)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, Cold (Preferably frozen)
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar.
3. Cut in butter-flavored shortening with a pastry cutter. Grate in butter, tossing occasionally. Stir in buttermilk until dough is wet and sticky.
4. Generously flour a work surface. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Sprinkle a little flour on the dough and your hands and begin to gently knead and fold the dough. Add more flour as needed, but not too much, just enough so that the dough is manageable.
5. Fold the dough over several times.(This will create layers.) Pat the dough out into a 1-inch thick rectangle. Dip the biscuit cutter into flour and cut out the biscuits. (do not twist the cutter)
6. Place biscuits on prepare pan, with the sides touching. (Think of a honeycomb look)
7. Brush tops of biscuits with a very light coating of mayonnaise. (Yes I know this is weird but it is amazing!)
8. Bake for 14 minutes or until tops are golden.
9. Remove from oven and brush with butter.
Notes: Make sure all of your ingredients are cold, even the bowl if you can! Biscuit dough needs to be super cold when it goes into the oven for the BEST biscuits.
Work Fast: Work quickly to make sure the ingredients stay cold.