Blue Moon Cupcakes
Saw this recipe many moons ago on Pinterest. These cupcakes aren’t super sweet (which is something I dislike in desserts) and the orange zest on top adds that extra pow of awesomeness!
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 2/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Orange, zested (plus more for garnish)
- 2/3 cup Blue Moon Beer
- 2 Tbsp Whole Milk
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a mini muffin tin with 24 mini cupcake liners.
2) In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.Set aside.
3) In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer, cream butter for 1 minute. Add sugar and cream together with butter for about 3 to 4 minutes.
4) Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down after each addition.
5) Add vanilla and orange zest and mix until just combined.
6) In a mixing bowl whisk together beer and milk. Alternatively add beer mixture and flour mixture to butter mixture until fully incorporated.
7) Fill cupcake liners 1/2-2/3 full.
8) Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
9) For frosting: In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese. With motor running add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time until all sugar has been added, scraping down sides of the bowl after each cup of sugar. Stir in the orange juice until fully incorporated.
10) Pipe frosting onto cupcakes or spread with an offset spatula and top with fresh orange zest. Serve.