Great cobber recipe by itself and you can swap out fruit for all sorts of possibilities! Thanks to my cousin Marla for sharing this!
- 1/2 Cup unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup all purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Sugar, divided (recommended to use 1 1/2 Cup)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1 Tsp Lemon Extract (optional)
- 4 Cups fresh Berries*
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Ground Cinnamon or Nutmeg (optional) & 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Melt butter in a 13 x 9 baking dish.
2. Combine flour, 1 Cup sugar, baking powder, lemon extract and salt; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over butter (do not stir).
3. Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, berries and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly; pour over batter (do not stir). Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
4. Bake at 375 F for 40 – 45 min or until golden brown. Allow to cool before serving.
*The lemon extract goes great in the batter for an extra zesty flavor.
* The cinnamon/nutmeg can be used based on the type of fruit. i.e. cinnamon + peaches = yum!