WIP – Beef Enchiladas, Red Sauce
This recipe is a work in progress, its my mom’s recipe and she doesn’t use measurements so I am having to make it and “tweak” it until I get it perfect.
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, Diced (1/2 Cup roughly)
- 4 Oz. Can Green Chili’s
- Green Onion, for garnish
- Black Olives, for garnish
- Avocado, for garnish
- Shredded Lettuce, for garnish
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin, half for the beef, half for the sauce
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Tbsp Veg Oil
- Shredded Cheddar cheese or Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Dozen corn or flour tortillas
1. Brown beef, about half way through add 1/2 cup diced yellow onion and the garlic.
2. When beef is cooked and onion is soft, strain any fat and set beef/onion/garlic mix in a bowl, add diced green chili’s and 1/2 Tsp Cumin.
3. Heat 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil in a pan, add flour and make a roux. Add 2 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, mix until combined.
4. Add chicken broth, onion powder, garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp cumin. Mix to combine. Bring sauce to a boil then turn off heat and set sauce aside.
5. Take 2 damp paper towels and microwave 4-5 tortillas at a time for 30 seconds between the damp paper towels and set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
7. Dip tortilla in sauce, place on a plate/cutting board and add 3 Tbsp beef filling, roll up and place in a casserole dish. Pour any remaining sauce on top of all the enchiladas.
8. Sprinkle top of enchiladas with shredded cheese, cover dish in foil and bake for 20 min. Remove foil and bake another 10 min.
9. Serve enchiladas with garnish’s as desired.